Vibroacoustic sound therapy is a type of brain-based therapy used to restore our patients to their optimal state of health without the need for medications. Vibroacoustic Therapy uses low frequencies and therapeutic music delivered through special speakers called transducers. The transducers are embedded within our therapeutic bed. As a person’s body has contact with the embedded speakers, the music is sent from the source into the transducers and then is felt by the body as vibration and heard by the ears as sound. The vibrotactile input stimulates nerve bundles along the spine, up into the brain stem and then through the limbic system. In addition, the sound stimulates the medulla in the brain stem and activates the auditory nerve that connects with all the muscles of the body. These reactions signal the body to relax and flood the brain with mood-lifting chemicals. In addition, the low frequencies also cause a relaxation of the tissues and a dilation of blood vessels and an opening of the lymphatic pathways which in turn increases the body’s ability to heal.
Benefits of Vibroacoustic Sound Therapy
This therapy creates “Sensory Resonance” within the body of the individual, where the individual is bathed in harmonic frequencies that integrate the whole brain and body into a state of peace and calm. When the mind and body are in a calm state, all kinds of health benefits can occur.
- The Limbic System is signaled to return to a calm state, and over time helps the body to become better at self-regulation and more resilient to stressors.
- The Relaxation Response is activated, which creates a cascade of positive physical and emotional health benefits.
- The heart rate slows and heart rate variability (HRV) improves, which is an indicator of stress resilience.
- Blood pressure lowers, which reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Muscles relax, which in turn can reduce pain from tension and spasms.
- The pain lessens through a combination of increased relaxation and an increase of “happy” hormones.
- Circulation increases, which nourishes the cells and organs.